Requesting Accommodations

How can I obtain academic accommodations for my classes?

The first step is to provide documentation of your disability to the Sara Bea Disability Services office. We will review your documentation and then to speak with you about the type of accommodations you feel you need. It is important that your documentation clearly identifies a disability and supports the use of accommodations. Documentation can be sent via mail, fax, or email. This information is available in the Contact Us section. 

What types of accommodations are available?

A student’s use of accommodations is individualized.  However, it is our experience that academic accommodations tend to fall into three categories: testing accommodationsauxiliary aids and services, and academic adjustments. You can find out more about each category and how to request an accommodation by clicking on each link. Qualified students with disabilities can also request non-academic accommodations, such as housing, transportation, or dining accommodations, through the Sara Bea Disability Services office.

Is there a deadline for requesting accommodations?

Yes. It is your responsibility to contact the Sara Bea Disability Services office at the start of each semester to request accommodations for your classes. In addition, the three categories of accommodations have specific deadlines. Please read each category carefully so you understand the steps involved.

Is there someone who can help me when requesting accommodations?

The Sara Bea Disability Services office will assign you a facilitator. This person will be a resource for you to answer questions and help guide you through the process. In most cases this will be a Sara Bea Disability Services staff member but could also be a person from your academic department or college.

Is it possible that an instructor could say no?

Yes. The University is only able to provide accommodations that are reasonable.  The University will not provide accommodations that fundamentally alter the nature of a class or program, or that result in a lowering of its academic standards.

What if my approved accommodations are (or become) ineffective?

Qualified students who find that their approved accommodations do not completely address all the impacts of their disability, or who encounter new challenges not addressed by the original accommodations, should meet with the Coordinator or Associate Coordinator to explore whether additional accommodations may be needed.

What if I disagree with a decision that was made or feel that I have been discriminated against based on my disability?

You can file a grievance if you feel you have been unfairly treated. Review the policy Students with Disabilities Grievance Procedures. You can also discuss the process with your facilitator. To review the complete process for obtaining testing accommodations,